Scale from standalone to networked with minimal fuss
8.1 / 8
Ubuntu 16.0 4+ WINE
Ubuntu 18.04 + WINE
Probate Plus is a “traditional” Win32 application, has low system resource requirements and has been designed to work in most operating system environments. If you are a probate practitioner, IT manager or consultant working on behalf of a potential user hopefully you will find all the information you require below. If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to contact us.
- Microsoft Windows operating system.
- 50mb free hard disk space.
- TCP/IP networking if part of a network.
- Recommended – Internet access for connection to cloud based pay-as-you-go licensing system.
- If internet access is not available then hardware based licensing can be provided. This requires a spare USB port for HASP pay-as-you-go licence key. HASP licensing USB key can be networked so there is only a requirement for one PC or server on your network to have a USB port to support the HASP key.
Supported workstation operating systems.
- Windows 10.
- Windows 8 & 8.1.
- Windows 7.
Supported server operating systems.
- Windows Server 2019.
- Windows Server 2016.
- Windows Server 2012 R2.
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (until Microsoft EOL 14 Jan 2020).
Unsupported / experimental operating environments.
- Ubuntu 16.04 with WINE extensions.
- Ubuntu 18.04 with WINE extensions.
Older workstation operating systems.
- Windows Vista / XP. Probate Plus works on these operating systems but as they are no longer officially supported by Microsoft we do not recommend their use.
- 1-3 peer-to-peer users
- For 1-3 users in a peer-to-peer network environment, no additional software or configuration will normally be needed (especially with modern high performance networks). But if some users access via a low speed or poor quality network connection we recommend use of the full client-server version of Probate Plus (see below)
- 4+ peer-to-peer users
- As your user count increases your network traffic levels increase and we recommend use of the client-server database system (see below). Of course, high performance networks and workstations will be able to support more peer-to-peer users of Probate Plus but at some point the centralised performance of the client-server database becomes a higher performance option.
- Terminal services / Windows RDP / Citrix / VMware / “multiplexed” environments.
- Probate Plus can be provisioned to your users in a terminal services environment where the application resides on one or more terminal servers which stream the application or users full desktop environment direct to their thin or thick workstation.
- Use of Probate Plus in a terminal services environment requires a full client-server database licence of a size equal to the maximum concurrent users that will run Probate Plus. Licence sizes are available from single to multiple users.
- Where Probate Plus is installed in a completely virtualised environment we recommend use of our cloud based licensing options – CloudLM PECS, contact us for more details.
Full Client-Server database engine (optional extra).
- Probate Plus can access its database files through either a local server mode or a full client-server mode. The client-server option offers much improved performance and reliability when Probate Plus is operating in a multi-user environment. The “local server” mode is available free of charge whereas the client-server mode requires the purchase of the client-server database engine (Advantage Database Server). The database server is available in a variety of licence sizes.
- Use of the client-server database system is mandatory under terminal services environments.
- We do not recommend the use of Probate Plus in “local server” mode beyond 3 users.
- When operating in client-server mode, for best performance the database server specification should equal or exceed the specification of the fastest workstation that will be running Probate Plus.
- The client server version is available from Law Systems directly. Contact us here to discuss further.
Supported database server operating systems and network protocols.
|Microsoft Windows x86||IP and IPX protocols|
|Microsoft Windows x86_64||IP protocol|
|Linux x86||IP protocol|
|Linux x86_64||IP protocol|